• Identify what you need and why
• Confirm the budget and evaluate ROI
• Prepare a cost/benefit example
• Understand and document your technical infrastructure
• Identify technical features: Do you need imaging? ECM? ERM? BPM? Non-alterable media? Integration?
• Internet capabilities? Etc.
• Identify and differentiate between data and document capture, content management, business process automation, integration, and infrastructure requirements
• Further separate those requirements into hardware and software categories and identify the associated vendors with each category
• Prepare questions for each product vendor
• Identify an integrator needed to pull the entire solution together and support it
• Consider product interoperability, flexibility, and scalability to adapt to future growth
• Plan the time required for development, testing, QA, training and implementation
• Plan for the extended time needed to deal with any legal, regulatory, compliance, or corporate governance issues
• Expect, plan, and budget for recurring costs for upgrades, maintenance, support, consulting services, legal, regulatory, compliance, corporate governance revisions that need to be translated into a functional application, expansion, and integration.